Thursday, April 17, 2008

Evaluation Project Thoughts

I have had to rethink my original ideas for my project due to restrictions within the area I work. So I have had another ‘head scratching’ session and picked something else that will be more suitable and not create the same barriers.


For my project, I will focus on impact evaluation of an on-line module that we provide within a blended learning course. This module is often a first time experience with online learning for many of our students and as such, is quite often met with little enthusiasm. I made reference in my previous blog to a model used by Phillips (2005) which illustrates a development cycle into which various stages of evaluation fit, namely: Design, Production, Implementation and Maintenance. I wish to look at the third phase of evaluation and identify whether students are able to apply what they are learning and in particular whether or not they are motivated to look at further study using the same methodology.


I feel that my previous thoughts regarding paradigm and models are still appropriate to my new project, namely Eclectic-Mixed Methods-Pragmatic Paradigm and utilising either Stake’s Responsive or Multiple Methods evaluation models. However, I have had to revisit the guidelines I will use as the previous ones posted, do not appear appropriate. I have therefore selected the following which I have adjusted to suit my ideas (as suggested by Bronwyn- thanks).


TD3 Does the e-learning encourage a realistic progression towards self direction? Does it recognise varied starting points in confidence and motivation?


SD5 Do students acquire the learning skills that promote staircasing to higher learning?
S08 Do students get guidance on study skills for the e-learning environment?


S010 Do students get an explanation of any differences to the e-learning modules compared to a more familiar approach?


I feel that all of the above guidelines follow a similar pattern and I will probably look at paring them down to perhaps two when I have formulated my plan a little further.

2 comments:

Gordon said...

I think that S08 is a critical success factor and one that is often overlooked.

We make all kinds of assumptions when considering the introduction of e-learning, amongst them the fallacious "we will build it and they will come" attitude and the belief that all e-learners will somehow inherently have the required skills needed to engage with e-learning.

I found an interesting paper here: http://www.eurodl.org/materials/contrib/2004/Lorenzi_MacKeogh_Fox.htm that outlines how an Irish distance education centre implemented strategies to prepare students for e-learning. What I particularly liked was their philosophy of incorporating this preparation into the course, apart from a small introductory module, such that they were guided through as part of the course through assigned tasks. Check out the section on The Pedagogical Approach, which explains this more fully.

Hilary said...

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the article which I found very interesting and has given me some pointers. I felt the section on Support Offered by Peers to be quite relevant as our students are studying both at home and in one of 8 distributed classroom. One criticism of the course is often that no community is developed using traditional methods and many of the students feel isolated. However, this is a dual edged sword in many respects as there tends to be a lot of resistance re participation in discussion forums.